Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just adopted my first four cichlids from a co-worker. These four are all from the same tank and they all lived together well. Two convicts and two of these (please help me identify them). I do want to add some more fish, so any suggestions on what to get?? I have a 55 gallon with two convicts and two of these fish. Thanks!

Here's the link to my blog, pictures of the fish are on the front.
http://thetatersaladfamily.blogspot.com/

P.S. How do you post pictures on here??

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi volgirl4life,

The two fish posted on your blog are Jack Dempseys ( 'Cichlasoma' octofasciatum). If the two pictures are of different fish, then it looks like you have two males which could cause problems in a 55g tank.

Besides adding some dither fish to occupy the upper part of the tank, I think your tank is pretty well stoked for a 55g. However, you should post about your tank and fish in the Central American section and see what others have to say.

To post picture you must put you images on a picture hosting site, I use photobucket, then copy and paste the "img code" in your post. You can preview your post to see if it worked correctly.

Welcome to the forum and I know you will enjoy your cichlids. Your JDs look great.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Matt,

Thanks for your reply. What makes you think they're both males? One of them is bigger than the other so I just assumed that one is the male? According to their previous owner, they're 8 years old and have been together all that time. I haven't seen any aggression between them two or even between them and the convicts. So hopefully I won't have any problems! But I'm curious how you figure they're males? Thanks for your input!
Sarah

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
They're definitely both males. The easiest way to sex jack dempseys, once they're large enough, is by the colour or lack thereof on the mid- to lower-gill plate.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi volgirl4life,

Since they have been together so long, your chances are greater that they will get along. Plus maybe they don’t have the energy at such an old age to aggressively defend territories.

As SinisterKisses noted female JDs have blue/green smudges on their lower gill plate/jaw line. On the other hand, males typically have no color on their lower gill plate/jaw line and have sharp/distinct blue/green spangles just under their eye.

Can you tell if the convicts are a pair or the same sex? Females will have orange coloration on their lower sides (i.e. belly area).

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is old? I've heard somewhere that cichlids can live to 15-20 years but here on this forum, it looks like 8-10 years is a max life for a cichlid.

I can't tell if the convicts are males or females. One is much darker than the other and the darker one is always chasing the lighter one around. Neither one has orange coloration though. According to the previous owner, the convicts are a mating pair. But I'm not so sure?

Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts