Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I have an African Cichlid that I am having trouble identifying. I purchased it a little while back and did not write down its name. I know for it is an African (unless the store lied, but it is a credible store). It is a pale-ish yellow with dark spots along its back and head. I have stayed away from Peacocks. I was told they are too docile for the fish I have. So I don't think it is peacock but anything is possible I guess.

Please Help :-?

Thank you;
WilsonFish2

·
Registered
256 Posts
How big is that fish? My otopharynx Lithobates look very similar. Best I can do for you.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
It seems to have some Otopharynx lithobates features for sure (three spots etc) but also some Nimbochromis say venustus features. Erm think it might be a hybrid. Kind of like to see some more photos. Not sure those white bars are real or just from the photo. Still in juvenile colouration so should be easy to ID. Just not seen a juv quite like that. :oops: :)

All the best James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stripes are real, although somewhat faint, and the fish is about 2-3inches in length. It has kind of a yellow hew, especially on the fins. Other wise not much color. The spotting is only along back and head.

Thanks for the help

WilsonFish2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked up the Otopharynx lithobates and found the picture below. This looks a lot like mine only a little darker.

Here are 2 more of mine. They are still a little washed out, but without the flash or tank light the pics are too dark. Hope they help.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
Not a Venustus.
Agreed but not the usual typical lithobates iether.
Dunno what they are to be honest.

All the best James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts