Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost several fish over the last few days... i have noticed that there was a slime on my driftwood, that i removed from the tank.....

i tested the water and i have bad reading in ammonia and nitrate and nitrite... so obviously i screwed something up or something happened...

my guys look real bad on the bottom of the tank, hiding and they are gasping.... look a bit better this am, but lost a syndon cat this am....

i don't want to fail at this and feel real bad they are dying ...\\

what can i do to fix this, as i am still very new to this hobby

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Do large water changes to get the ammonia and nitrite down. What are your exact readings?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Yep- large water changes (50% twice today, and one more tomorrow), making sure to add dechlorinator. Stop feeding, keep the lights off, and add some table salt (dissolve 1 tablespoon in hot water for every 10 gallons in your tank).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thaks, did a large water change yesterday...... another one coming today...... lights are off, no more feeding and dissolved the salts...

anything else...... i am struggling with this, and hate seeing my guys like this....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:(

now my elite sub 300w heater just cracked and the tube slid down.... man, i dont have time today to get a new one... what do i do, its still working, and the light is on..... but is this a bad idea to leave in there... with all the othe problems i have been having....

what to do now...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Unplug the heater, let it cool, and get it out of there immediately. A broken heater can poison or electrocute your fish.

Did you leave it plugged in during a water change? :(

The next thing you can do for your fish is to find a friend or store with an established tank and grab some filter media from theirs to put into yours.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks.... done and will be done..

and no i unplugged it before the water change.... why did that happen......

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how long will my water stay at temp.... like i said i cant get out today...... got another little guy to watch...hahaha....

i dont want them dying now because they are cold...

also they seem to be doing better after the salt add, and water change,.... more active, less hiding...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Well, how warm is your house? Add some warm water (with dechlor) if needed, but don't change the temp too drastically. If you can keep it above 70 over night, your fish will be fine. Keep the lid on tight and wrap the tank in a blanket to conserve heat if you need to.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just a word of comfort, my cichlids and cat fish survived a cold flash last year water was in the 50's. I had gone away for weekend, Friday warm, Monday snowing. heater was too small for tank. My pictus were about to die, floating and they're bottom feeders. They all survived. They will be okay for the night if you keep it stable. Good luck, let us know.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
However, I would not delay getting a heater and test kit as soon as possible today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts