Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the process of moving houses, and so today was the day i was moving my 10 gallon brevis tank, andyway i have one of those cheap $2 thermometers with the suction cup and that was one of the first things that i had put in the tank, i started filling the tank etc. and then i noticed the top of it broke, and it smelled funny. is this okay? what should i do besides water changes of course?

·
Registered
656 Posts
What broke? the thermometer? just throw it out and get a new one for $2. Water changes might be a good idea, but I wouldn't bleach anything. They don't use mercury or anything dangerous in thermometers anymore, it's just dyed alcohol or something like that, and it probably didn't spill in the tank, did it?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Water change. I don't see the need for bleach either. Bleach sterilizes and I don't see anything that would have come from a thermometer that needed to be 'killed'. Just a major water change.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This has happened to me a few times with fish in the tank and I just removed the glass pieces and did a 40 to 50% water change but that was just because I was being paranoid. This is the exact reason I quit buying them though and have switched all my tanks over to the coralife digital thermos which are only like $6.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If it has done no harm by now, most likely no harm done. Water changes are almost always good to make us feel safer, though. I found several broken and never seen harm except when fish ate the broken parts. They seemed to like the little balls of weight and died after several weeks of not eaiting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts