Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
chefkevin said:
Hypothetically lets say i was going to have a tank with 10 or more P. Demasoni and I added in 3 to start. How long would I wait to add the next 3?
IF you've let your tank cycle for 4 or more weeks before adding the first three, I think you could comfortably add another 3 after about 2 or 3 weeks or so (all juvies I presume, if not then only do 1 or two at most). You just don't want to jack the bio-load up so fast that your beneficial bacteria can't handle it. Get a good liquid test kit to monitor Ammonia and Nitrite levels. If in the days after adding new fish these levels rise then you know your beneficial bacteria isn't well enough established.

·
Registered
712 Posts
savage said:
chefkevin said:
Hypothetically lets say i was going to have a tank with 10 or more P. Demasoni and I added in 3 to start. How long would I wait to add the next 3?
IF you've let your tank cycle for 4 or more weeks before adding the first three, I think you could comfortably add another 3 after about 2 or 3 weeks or so (all juvies I presume, if not then only do 1 or two at most). You just don't want to jack the bio-load up so fast that your beneficial bacteria can't handle it. Get a good liquid test kit to monitor Ammonia and Nitrite levels. If in the days after adding new fish these levels rise then you know your beneficial bacteria isn't well enough established.
I don't think that is quite accurate. Like Savage, I am assuming you've cycled this tank. If you've done it with a fish-less cycle, you can add your entire stock at the same time. If you've cycled with fish you'll have to add fish a few at a time. With Demasoni, you have to be really careful. Even as juvies, they can be rough with each other. I would stock at least 12 (if they're small- about 1.5") and just feed very lightly. If you cycled with ammonia (fishless) then you can stock all species, regardless of size, at the same time since the bioload you cycled your filters with is quite a bit higher than the bioload of the fish you're putting in there.

:thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
mittzgame
This tank is still "just a plan" but I am probably going to go the fishless cycling route so I don't have to worry too much about adding fish, though I don't think I would feel comfortable adding 12 fish at once.

-Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I read the 75 gallon cookie cutter article in the library looking for more ideas on what to stock with and have started skimming some other articles and I've found what would seem to be another contradiction to one of the basic guidelines that I had read previously. I have read about "how many fish can go in an "X gallon tank?" and the answer usually is somewhere along the lines of an inch of adult fish per gallon (with exceptions obviously). However the recommendations for some of the malawi tanks, with some of the fish exceeding 7 inches, seems to go way over this guideline. Is it ok to "overstock" these specific fish, or are these "cookie cutters" assuming when these mbuna are full grown that you will move them to a larger tank? Thanks for all the patience and insight!

-Kevin

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.