Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what thought was a male metriaclima callainos cobolt blue zebra. was online trying to find 4-5 female metriaclima cal to go with him and the pics saw from the vendors website didn't look exactly the same. It may be a pearl zebra.
So I guess my questions is:
1. Is it a cobolt blue zebra or is it a pearl zebra?

2. Do I have to buy exactly the same or am I good with either one as long as its a metria cal?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I've never seen a callainos with that black dorsal stripe before, so I can't put my money on that. I have no idea what a "pearl zebra" is. That's a trade name that means nothing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not actually a black stripe. Its more of a deeper blue area before the ends of the fin thats almost transparent.
One of the site sponsors lists a metriaclima callainos (cobalt blue zebra and a metriaclima callainos pearl zebra.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fogelhund said:
A pearl zebra is the white form of Metriaclima callainos, a common name that has been in use for over 25 years.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2593

It is best to only get the same strain. I've never seen a callainos with that marking either.
What do you think it is than? the blue on the dorsal fin is more apparent in the pics than in person. I never really noticed it until it was pointed out here. It is more like a stripe of the shiny blue similar to the dot of shiny blue you can see on his gills. I think the flash of the camera makes it stand out more.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
M. estherae wouldn't have that line in the dorsal either.

Either it is singular fish with an abnormal marking, or it is a hybrid... hard to say for certain, unless you know the background of it's parents.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fogelhund said:
M. estherae wouldn't have that line in the dorsal either.

Either it is singular fish with an abnormal marking, or it is a hybrid... hard to say for certain, unless you know the background of it's parents.
Came from my LFS so no possibility of that :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
No way is it a pearl.

Colour notwithstanding it's a classic looking met call. Head shape is right. Finnage is right. Caudal peduncle is right. Jaw looks right as well.

I think it's like fogelhound said, single fish with abnormal marking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts