Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have three male caudopunks and one female in a six foot community tank. The female paired up with the second in command male. When the female swims over to the top males territory, he displays to her vigorously and chases away all other fish, but she always returns to her chosen male. The top male is a lot bigger and an all around nicer specimen than the male the female is paired with.

Would there be a good chance of her pairing with the nicer male if I removed her selected mate? I think they spawned once( assuming by the way they were behaving near their cave), but nothing ever came out of it.

Is it too risky to play match maker?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Interesting. I'd try it too, but keep her mate around in another tank as a back up plan. It might take a couple months for her to settle for the brute (maybe she likes the bookish types!) :lol:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I would not try it myself... I have found that every time I've interfered, the fry were not as healthy as the naturally formed pair. Sometimes it took more than one generation for whatever "issue" there was to show itself, but all in all, I've learned to trust the fish!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try it and let you guys know.

The dominate male is insane, he keeps a fairly large area free of any other fish. I can't believe the personality difference between the dominate male and the two other males, seems like two different species almost.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
ahud said:
The dominate male is insane, he keeps a fairly large area free of any other fish. I can't believe the personality difference between the dominate male and the two other males, seems like two different species almost.
and yet you think that might make a good mate?
:lol:

My alternative suggestion is cull the dominant male and give the pair a healthier environment to try for fry.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Healthier environment? Four caudopunks share a six foot tank with a dozen multi's and two unpaired brichardi(soon to be removed), and two female brevis(waiting to find more kitumba). How much more of a healthier environment can I give them? The dominate male is guarding about a 24" area, while the pair only maintains a 6" area.

He is not aggressive to the female, he only displays to her. When she leaves his territory he goes right back to normal. The big male has been that way even when there was only the 4 caudopunks in the six foot tank. Hes a brute.

Heres the dominate:

and the less dominate:

Excuse the crappy pictures as usual :( I only have my black berry for taking pictures. I also need to clean the glass!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I thought you kind of wanted to let this tank takes it's course. I'd leave it alone, on second thought. The larger male may take things more into his own hands. I think you have the interesting scenario, or one of them, that you were looking for. I wouldn't start micro-managing it now in order to line breed. Sort of takes the whole thing off the original course, doesn't it?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
ahud said:
How much more of a healthier environment can I give them? The dominate male is guarding about a 24" area, while the pair only maintains a 6" area.
you answered your own question... :D
without him, guess who gets a 24" territory? :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts