Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a 32 gallon plastic garbage can. I'm going to use it to hold water for when I do water changes. I'm using it to hold the water I'm going to put in the tank. The water from my tap is ice cold usually so I wanted to let it sit in the garbage can and warm up for when I do my WC's. Also so the water could gas off and I would be adding the same ph water back in the tank.

The only thing is the garbage can is made from recycle plastic, and it smells like burnt plastic and kinda like tar too. I was wondering how safe at all do you think this may be? Or should I bag this garbage can and look for something else to hold my water in.

The next question would be how do I know what plastic would be safe to store water in for WC's.

Oh yeah! If you know of anything the cheaper the better.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Look to food grade plastic barrels for a number of reasons. One they are made to hold liquid. If you hold the trash can up and stick your head inside, you may see light shining through weak spots where the plastic was formed. These may not leak when new but may later. I also find they are made to hold things that are not as heavy as water. Filling and refilling them makes the sides flex each time and mine developed stress cracks after time. Food grade of course makes plastic a better bet not to poison the fish. Probably not the biggest worry but why risk it?

I'm guessing Minnesota might still have a few brewers around?? Microbrewers get their malt in barrels that make great storage. Here in the Austin area we get them salvage for $10. They don't rust, they are easy to cut and drill and they are thick enough to last forever.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Also look for rain water barrels. You can get them for cheap on craigslist sometimes. Things that were not built to hold water typically shouldn't hold water, for extended periods of time. People have had problems with rubbermaid tubs over time when using them for sumps, too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I probably have the same barrel you do.
Bought mine at Home Depot in Woodbury.
Have been using if for years to hold water prior to a WC.
What the others say, could very well be true, but this is what I do.

I do WC's on Saturday.
On Wed., I fill the barrel up, turn on the heater, turn on the circulating pump, and let it sit for 3-4 days.
On Saturday I use all the water for a WC. Empty the barrel, and let it sit till the next Wed.

Works great for my tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts