Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my tank setup with rocks and im working on painting the bg. I feel like the tank could look real nice with some plants. I know i should use fake so im wanted everyone to tell me what plants you use and where you buy them. i hope to find some nice plants that look real.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't know that you HAVE to use fake ones, but if you go that route, I bought a bunch of different ones at Michael's craft store that look good. I need to re-do the silicon/rock base I made for them, as the straight stems can pull out easily from the silicon. Haven't decided how to change that yet.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would give different advise to different people based on experience. If you are new to fishkeeping, live plants can be a disaster as it makes tank maintenance a bit harder while one may be working hard to get the basics down. In that case, I find getting a bunch of plastic from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. is a good way to go for economy. Used plants from garage sales are real cheap and just as good.
For the more experienced, I would suggest getting together with some local hobby folks who have plants. Plants, like fish will reproduce when they are happy. Some types need to be cleared out fairly often, making them very cheap if you can find the right person. I offer to buy and find them giving me lots of plants. An ad on Craigslist, maybe?
Any nice local streams that are clear with lots of plants if you scuba or wade? Watch out for snail eggs on wild plants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.