Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received some new greenery from Malaysia and while very pretty on the website, it took a month to get here, most looks dead, some survived the trip. This is what I got:

1. Plagiomnium Trichomanes - came in a plastic mesh thing . . .
2. Pellia - also in the same thing

Do I remove them from this grid thing? if so. bury it? if not, bury it in the sand?

I've always used plasic plants but wanted to go with something new and different, thx

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
you bought these without knowing what they were? Welcome to the club... 8)
aquatic gardeners always seem to end up being at least one plant without knowing what it is...
killing terrestrial plants under water seems to be a rite of passage! :lol:

now for the "bad news"... they aren't plants that you "plant".

Their proper environment is a semi aquatic environment. They look amazing in a paludarium.

Some people have success growing pelia as a fully submerged plant with most folks having success with injected CO2 and high light. The grid is usually tied to the object you want the mossy like plant to grow and spread across... rock, driftwood, etc. I want to order some of these mosses and setup a paludarium and my plan was to tie the moss right at the surface to allow it to spread up the driftwood and as far down as it "wanted" to.

Are you using injected CO2? Can you start? Which of your tanks were you thinking of?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Why buy from overseas?

I'm sure some local LFS carry plants (even PetSmart has common plants such as Java Fern / Wisteria / Java Moss / etc.)

If not plantedtank.net has a Swap N Shop forum where you can buy plants from other members on the cheap and get information on whether or not those plants will thrive in the environment you have. Most ship 2 day delivery so things arrive in good condition.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
gnomemagi - Petsmart is notorious for dumping terrestrial plants into a tank, and selling them to unsuspecting folks as if they can be grown submerged. These plants will inevitably die, and I make the resulting feeling of defeat responsible for so many people in the US resorting to putting plastic and silk plants in their tanks.

Most of my plants I got from local fish clubs, but I have also had plants shipped directly from Malaysia. I got an amazing assortment of beautiful Anubias, and most of the types I got were not available locally. They arrived in under 10 days, and were in excellent shape when I got them.

In short, you don't have to buy from overseas, but there is also nothing inherently wrong with it!

G

·
fmueller said:
gnomemagi - Petsmart is notorious for dumping terrestrial plants into a tank, and selling them to unsuspecting folks as if they can be grown submerged.
Do you have evidence to support this? Have you yourself seen this or was this just told to you?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
LC5860 said:
Do you have evidence to support this? Have you yourself seen this or was this just told to you?
I've seen it myself plenty of times. They sell grass-like plants that look like they dug them up right outside the store in the parking lot. There are no aquatic plants that look like that. But sorry, I did not collect evidence that would hold up in a court of law. I just don't buy plants there anymore. In fact, I don't buy any plants for a fish tank unless I know exactly what they are, and that they can grow submersed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts