Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished cleaning and rearranging all my rocks and moving some fish around in my 75G. I asked my significant-other how it looked, thinking that it looked great to me, and she said "well, boring; it's just a pile of rocks". Upon further interrogation she told me it needed plants. I have used plastic plants in this tank before but I don't really like them. And as I understand it there really aren't plants in the lake anyhow.

So my question is, are other folks keeping live plants in their mbuna tanks, and if so what are your experiences with them? What plants do well? Will the mbuna (or my 5" common plecos) damage the plants?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have Java fern, they do alright with Labs and cobalt blues. Not all plants are happy with the high pH.
Why not try with some cheapies? The worst that can happen is that they get torn apart, and the fishies get some extra salad.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
My java fern gets shredded. Fogelhund has success with it I think.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it sounds like java fern works sometimes and sometimes not. Have any of you tried anubias? I would think it should be tough enough, and it doesn't need to be rooted in the substrate. I'm not sure what does well in the hard water though. I'm also concerned about my plecos (5" and growing) damaging the leaves.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've never heard of a pleco that damaged plants. Does this happen?
Anubias are often included in Tanganyikan setups, I think, so the hard water should be alright.

I think that with any tank, at any time, plants can be a hit-and-miss.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have anubias in my tanks and they are doing pretty well. Occasionally i'll have to trim off a few chewed leaves but overal, they give great color!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have some jungle val growing in my tank right now with Labs, Dems, and Acei. Also there is 2 plecos in there and they just hide in them once in awhile. Havent seen and bites out of them so far. Just that they grow kinda fast and need trimming once in a while, but being tall they really hide the intakes and what not pretty nicely and give the tank some nice color.

·
Registered
30 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
I have some jungle val growing in my tank right now with Labs, Dems, and Acei. Also there is 2 plecos in there and they just hide in them once in awhile. Havent seen and bites out of them so far. Just that they grow kinda fast and need trimming once in a while, but being tall they really hide the intakes and what not pretty nicely and give the tank some nice color.
A few years ago I had a tank with a aragonite substrate and had excellent result with jungle valisneria (Vallisneria gigantea). The leaves were at least 2.5-3 feet long and were putting out runners at a pretty steady rate. I never had a problem with fish gnawing on the leaves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have plants in mine,not sure what, but they are tough. Most likely anubias.

They get torn up, but grow faster than the fish can damage. They try to eat them but don't like the taste.

They do help keep the nitrate down and I like the green color in the tank.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments.
The next time I see some good-looking plants for a decent price I think I will put in several java ferns and anubias and see what happens. :popcorn:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pics when you do! :popcorn:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts