Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, *** been looking for plants for my aquarium but i know my fish are gona eat them so i was wondering if i could go to my local river and scoop some of the river weed out and plant it in my aquarium. i dont think its poison to fish since theres tones of it and plenty of local fish in the river and im relatively sure its safe to eat cause the local ducks,geese and swans seem to love it plus im sure *** seen it growing in my LFS plant section... if i did get it id be sure to wash it and remove any creepy crawleys.thanks.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Will likely die off in the warmer water for one.

Second, how do you prevent diseases from being passed on?

I'd pass.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I brought home some "Hydrilla" (sp) home from Lake Panasofskee in Florida. It is a very invasive plant in that lake. I thought that it would look pretty and it did, until all my guppies started to die and then I found some worms under the plastic wood looking centerpiece in the tank. I wouldnt bring any from the wild. Lots of parasites on them which you can't see with the naked eye. I learned a valuable lesson. It was a 55 gal. and I had my fancy show guppies approximately 100 of them in there. (yeah I know GUPPIES?) :oops: Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I asked a similar question about some duckweed I had collected and got the suggestion to rinse it with a dilute solution of potassium permanganate in order to kill off all of the parasites, snails, and other undesirables. I could grow it outside very easily but never got ahold of any of the potassium permanganate so I never tried adding any to tanks with livestock in them. I added some to an empty tank but none of it survived the warmer temperatures and reduced light.

With all the trouble of sterilizing and collecting the plants you are probably better off buying some if you have seen it at the LFS plant area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts