Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been treating my tank for ick the past week and everything is going fine, but now my plants are starting to turn yellow and lose some leaves. I'm not using any medication, just the heat and salt treatment, but I was under the impression this wouldn't hurt the plants. Is it maybe the lack if nitrates since I haven't fed the fish in about a week?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
salt and heat will hurt plants... some more than others... treating for Ich in a planted tank is not a good idea.

·
Registered
705 Posts
get in there and remove any of the dying leaves. they can rapidly produce nitrates which arent gonna help ur ich covered fish. i know that the copper in most ich treatments added to a high temp salt method can really kill off ur plants. maybe consider moving em to another tank temporarily if ur really in love. otherwise theyre pretty much doomed. GL to ya sry to dampen ur spirits.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Plants can grow back, dead fish will not.
I hadn't had any diseases for years, then I decide to add some tetras to a planted tank. Long story, but they ended up having ich. Had some wild fish in that tank as well, so needless to say, the fish took the highest priority for me. Plant leaves could melt, but I know they grow back. And if not, then the investment in new plants is not as bad as new fish. If I were you, I would just live with it for a bit - and I wouldn't move anything from that tank, as you could end up infecting the temporary hosting tank.

Hmmm, wish they still made Aquari-sol. Best med ever.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
why havent you fed your fish? feeding them during a high heat treament is a good idea as higher heat=faster metabolism which means they will be alot hungrier than normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts