Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have recently made my tank into a heavily planted setup. My plant list is as follows
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus Philippine
Microsorum pteropus windelov
anubias nana petite
anubias barteri
anubias coffeefoila
Crinum natans
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Hygrophilia angustifolia
Echinodirus â€Å"ozelotâ€Â

·
Registered
220 Posts
Give it a couple of weeks to grow in and kind of settle out. It will look different. In the end, I think this is going to look really nice. Fish that enjoy cover will love it.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
the cyps look like they can barely turn around, the ozelot sword will soon take up that entire tank if cared for properly, and in my opinion, your fiance is correct.

I worry mostly what sort of lighting and CO2 plans you have on this tank... without sufficient lighting, those cyps are going to get ill from the plant debris rotting and the stress of a tiny tank.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a double T5 HO light for the tank and use seachem flourish liquid and root tabs for the sword. No CO2. I have had these cyps for 2 years without any problems and have been looking to sell them but nobody wants to even make an offer so Im kind of stuck with them for now.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
understandable (somewhat) if you are stuck with the fish...

With that much light, you may need to do something about CO2. Your options are atmospheric CO2, liquid CO2, DIY Co2 or pressurized CO2. At a minimum, you should insert a broken photoperiod or something to keep CO2 levels as naturally high as you can.

If I were you, I would also remove the fast growers like the giant hygro. They are the messier looking plants anyway so you can earn brownie points with the fiance. With the fast growing plants gone, the CO2 level should stay higher.

No fertilizers until you see growth. Once you see new growth on all the plants without the plant having cannibalize the old leaves, then you can start to fertilize but low doses to avoid stress on cyps and fuel for algae.

I hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts