Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've had a 10g sump for a while now. Basically it is a sump but more refugium. I have a tank divider where the input from the overflow comes in and pot scrubbies on that side which is about 2 gallons of the tank. The rest is free; with a couple rocks, PVC, and some bits of egg crate I was thinking of putting in a clump of java moss and some ghost or cherry shrimp. The question/idea is what is the best quick and easy plant for a refugium and if I got say 25-40 of the shrimp would they breed enough for live food.

·
Registered
143 Posts
java moss is very popular just be sure to protect your return pump so it does not get in there and burn it up on you

·
Registered
143 Posts
cost really depends on the area you are in and stock at the time.. i have gotten a sandwich bag full for $5 at one store in the fall and now you can not get half of that for $10!!!! it holds up well to shipping so ordering form some one or some place is always a good option.. you can check out the trading post here or the reviews section for vender's....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main thing is i want some type of plant material that will possibly aid in filtration and is fairly cheap. The shrimp are the main thing I want to get so they can eat the little bits of food that get through and I know my LFS sells them at 4 for a dollar.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
if I got say 25-40 of the shrimp would they breed enough for live food.
Yes, I started with 30 in a 10 gallon and other than feeding pretty much ignored them for few months. When I moved them to a 30 breeder I had several hundred. I scoop up a net full every other day or so and it doesn't even make a dent. Great source of live food once you get it going.

·
Registered
117 Posts
you need a species of plant that will grow really quickly to strip the water of nitrates, something like Hygrophillia polysperma would work well and provide loads of little hiding spaces for your shrimp.

remember to lay a decent substrate for planted tanks and install a light over the top of your sump, 2 if possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I went to my LFS yesterday and they had nothing in their plant tank. They had not even a hand full of java moss and were trying to sell it for 10 bucks, but I got dwarf baby tears so I'll be trying that out. I also got 25 shrimp now only 20 but they're doing a great job of cleaning in the sump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts