Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun, I decided to take pictures of the plant growth over the roughly three months in my tank. I was amazed at how well the Amazon Sword is doing in my tank (I even have a growth shoot to the left of the main plant, right behind the Texas holey rock) as well as the Java Fern on the left, some of the Anubias are doing well too. The disappointment, though, has been the Vallisneria Gigantea, they are basically gone now. So I guess the word of advice for people with hard water (kH 10, gH 7, dH 17.2) and high pH (7.9 pH) is to go with Amazon Swords or Java Ferns.

I posted a picture below to show the changes in the tank, from December 15, 2010, until today, March 5, 2011 ... interesting.

I hope this may help people make some plant decisions.

All the best !!! :fish:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, actually the top photo is the new/current photo. It's interesting, even though the Sword is much bigger, that some of the leaves appear to be dying a little (yellowing). I don't know if that's normal or not. I'm really not a plant expert, by any means.

Another interesting point is the plant growth, I assume, is keeping my nitrates at 0ppm, where normally they should be rising right before my water changes, according to what I've read? :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I believe it's pretty normal for sword leaves to yellow as they get older. You just prune them so they don't start decaying.

And yes, they'll feed on nitrate and keep it at 0ppm. :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Is your substrate plain sand or do you have a plant specific substrate? Do you feed with root tabs or any other type of fertilizer?

I'm going with a planted 100g but so far don't have plans to have anything other than pool filter sand as my substrate and not planning on dosing fertilizers.

Your tank looks great :thumb:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dotbomb said:
Is your substrate plain sand or do you have a plant specific substrate? Do you feed with root tabs or any other type of fertilizer?

I'm going with a planted 100g but so far don't have plans to have anything other than pool filter sand as my substrate and not planning on dosing fertilizers.

Your tank looks great :thumb:
My substrate is nothing other than plain gravel. Although, I do add fertilizer I add to the bottom of each one of the plants once a month, which I use a 36" pellet applicator, shown in the same link that follows (it sure makes putting in the pellets easier than doing it by hand ... especially since my aquarium is 2 feet deep). This is a fertilizer I use ... http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquariumP ... p/fert.htm . I also use Seachem Flourish excel (Organic Carbon for the Planted Aquarium) ... http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... Excel.html ... daily. Plus I use two Dual 36 inch T5 High Output lamps that I leave on about 12 hours a day ... http://coralifeproducts.com/product/hoo ... -fixtures/ (during the night time, I have moonlights set up, but I don't think those help the plants any).

I hope this helps !!! All the best. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks. I have Flourish that I use on my 20g. Haven't tried excel yet. I'll have to get some fert tabs for my new tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts