Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Haven't posted in quite sometime now. I've been deployed to Afghanistan for about 6 months or so now. I have a 55g that I posted pictures of before I left. A brief rundown is standard 55g stocked with a male JD, male sal, a female FM and a male con. My dad currently is taking care of the tank. Unfortunately the con didn't make it but I still have the other 3.

My plan is to pick up a 125 when I get back and just wanted to throw some ideas out there and see what you guys thought. I was planning to keep the JD and Sal, and give the FM to my dad with a spare 37g that I had laying around as a thanks for taking care of em. I also was contemplating picking up a sagittae and wanted to see what you guys thought about having some HRPs in there maybe a pair or two.

Sorry for the long post but its been awhile. So the current possible stocking would be:
1 close to full grown male JD
1 close to full grown male Sal
1 Sagittae probably from Rapps
and 1 or 2 pairs of HRPs also probably from Rapps

Any suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

·
Registered
228 Posts
well your plan sounds good but id worry about that Sagittae aka(black devil)

they are some nasty fish but you could try it..... at a big risk...

if ur wanting a larger fish in there id try an oscar or green terror....

id throw in some tinfoil barbs as well to dither the tank maybe 4 or 5 of them

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not really a fan of oscars, and was trying to keep the tank CA only. What other large CA's would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi O-Daddy88,

I unfortunately cannot think of any larger CA cichlids to put in your set up. However, I did want to comment on how quickly a 125g can fill up. I have three medium to large (6"-10") cichlids and a lone tinfoil barb in my 125g and everyone seems to fit nicely (there are also some dithers and cat fish). I could not imagine adding another large fish.

Based on that I was thinking you might just want to go with the JD, Sal, and group of HRPs; then add some dither fish to give the tank more a "full" look. If sticking to CA there are less options for suitable dithers, otherwise giant danios and barbs seem to work the best in my CA tank set ups.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You have a couple heavy hitters there. Not sure I would add any more.

...Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.