Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i think i have decided on a wet/dry and i wanted to run out my plan and get some advice....
1st some info - 72 gallon bow front tank Drilled - intending on a Lake Malawi type tank (not 100% on inhabitants yet)

filtration......

running a dorso stand pipe to the top of a 5 gallon bucket inside will be cut off bottoms from other buckets drilld to disperse the water over the media.. in order from top to bottom the trays will be
filter pad (poly fill or other such)
green scrubby pads (the rectangles cut to fit very course material)
scrubby pads ( the plastic colored ones 6 for a buck) for housing bio
last will be a submerged layer that will have either ceramic tubes or bio balls
then it will empty into either a 20 long or a rubber-made container... this will house the heater(s), potentially some amount of substrate (refugium style like in salt to have plants for added filtration)
then a return pump section this will pump up to a "T" and split the return to the middle and end of tank opposite of over flow...

so ideas thoughts concerns please let the information flow....

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You might want to reconsider the ceramic rings or any submerged media that will trap organics. Not everything will get caught by your prefilter. Whatever gets by, you ideally want it to go to the bottom of the sump where you can easily vacuum it out. When you build it, keep ease of maintenance in mind. You want to be able to easily clean out the sump without disturbing your biomedia. You may just want to go with scrubbies or similar in the whole chamber, both above and below water as organics will pass right through them. Other than that, sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm good point!!!! with the bucket raised a little this should get easier but i agree the need to clean with out disturbance is really not something i thought of thank you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.