Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning for a new 6' 125gal. I'm planning for Haps/Peacocks. I'd like some lighting suggestions that will fit this tank and make the fish colors pop.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have 2 24" marineland double brights on my 5' long 20" tall 100g tank. I love the lights and the colors.

You could do 2 36" double brights.

Unfortunately that photo of my tank is a little bit over exposed. But the lights are very nice.

If you have a local fish store (not a chain) that carries these I bet you'd find they are using them on some of their large tanks. I'm sure they'd demo them for you.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
In my 180 Hap/Peacock I run 2 36" Current Nova Extreme's T5. I am running the daylight bulb that comes with it and adding a NON HO actinic bulb. (In each unit - 2 bulbs) I tried it with a HO actinic bulb and it was too blue. NON HO actinic bulb was just enough blue to really bring the colors out but not look too much like a salt water tank.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I have the 72" Coralife Aqualite Plus w/ Lunar LED's & love it...

You can find them on ebay for around 300.00

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you are planning for a canopy check out AH Supply. They have different size kits and excellent reflectors. I'd post a link but thats not legal in this section PM me if you cannot find them. :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with rgr4475, I've tried CF, VHO, T5s, I've had the best experience's with T5, you can get two 36" for even coverage, though make sure they will fit properly.

They are bright, cheaper than CF and the bulbs last two years.

I would personally not go any other way. For a fresh water tank, the reflectors are not too critical, so a "standard" kit will be fine. If you were going marine then it would be more important to invest in a lamp with individual reflectors for each bulb.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i got a 120g 48" tank and also have the nova light fixture (use to be for saltwater fish). It uses 4 t5 but now with the cichlid tank i just use two bulbs. i use one aquasun 10000k and mix it with a acintic. I personally like the bulb color combo especially with a solid black background

1 - 7 of 7 Posts