Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the disaster of my office tank I am going to buy a 6 feet tank with 150 gal capacity or more and stock it with haps and maybe peacocks. I don't want the stress of keeping an all male tank and decided to choose between2-4 groups of breeding haps and perhaps 1 colony of peacocks. Hap dolphins and nimbochromis polistigma andcapodichromis kadango are my favorite haps. Does stocking these fish together work for longrun?
Any suggestion for a suitable peacock?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think a 150 gallon 6 foot tank, would be successful long long term. in my 125 I have 9 haps, with 3 peacocks. All fish are between 3"-6", the tank already looks crowded. A 12" fish in a 6 foot tank, takes up alot of space. Now I think you could make it work with smaller haps, and peacocks. 1 male/ 2-4 females with 2-3 groups represented. Personally if you ended up with 9-12 smaller haps or 6-7" adult peacocks It could work, but stepping up too the bigger haps significantly cuts into final stocking numbers, in all but the biggest tanks. My 3" hap fusco, takes up a ton of room for how small and aggresive he is, so individual species choices would matter alot.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
vahid said:
>snip< decided to choose between2-4 groups of breeding haps and perhaps 1 colony of peacocks. Hap dolphins and nimbochromis polistigma and capodichromis kadango are my favorite haps. Does stocking these fish together work for longrun?
Any suggestion for a suitable peacock?
You should have no problems with this stock inna 6' tank. I have no experience with the n. polystigma but do have venustus, dolphin and borleyei in a 6' x 2' tank with other large Haps such as champsochromis and rostratus among others.

The dolphins take forever to get size while the kadango will mature pretty quickly. I have no peacocks so I cannot give any real advice on compatibility.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Sounds okay to me. A. stuartgranti maleri or baenschi would make a nice contrast. Polystigma might be left out or replaced with Venustus. Would be an active tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noki wrote "Polystigma might be left out or replaced with Venustus" please tell me why? Is polistigma more aggressive or there is another reason?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
I kinda think Polystigma may be more aggressive, but maybe not a big problem. Venustus males can be much more bright and attractive. I admit the females of Polystigma are an interesting contrast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I think my tank will include hap dolphins and capodichromis kadango and benschie peacocks. In the case of nimbochromis I'm still in doubt. If I forgo them what is your suggestion for a suitable substitute? And what is the best number of each group and male-female ratio?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm back again.
After searching for suitable tanks for my future haps-peacocks tank, currently I am in a quandry, I know that the length of the tank is the most important in final stucklist, but what about width or hight? There are tanks with similar watter capacity and length but some are more wider and others are more taller. so my question is hight or width? which is more important?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The wider footprint will be a better choice if it comes down to choosing between the two. Having said that I opted for a 210 over the 180 which has the same footprint so I could get more height that the 210 offered and I am glad I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts