Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this sight so do not no how to post pics i am waiting for my bit's to come in by mail and am wondering how much interest theire is in this also note that it is very inexpensive.
I can also add my plumbing and sump as i am going along but i need the info on the pics and generated interest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have drilled all of my 150 Gal tanks 6 total holes in 3/4" glass. Few things I can say:

1. You need to have a drill press or make a guide for the bit. Never be able to hold a hand help drill in place you will

2. around the hole you are going to cut you need to make a "dam' to keep water in you have to drill in a puddle to keep the cut cool, heat will crack the glass. I have used either clay or silly putty.

3 GO SLOW DO NOT PRESS TO HARD LET THE BIT DO THE WORK a 3/4" inch hole took about 20 to 30 mins.

4. MOST IMPORTANT THING! MAKE SURE YOUR TANK IS NOT TEMPERED GLASS.

I got a some what cheap bit to 1 1/2" bit was around $25 off of e-bay I got away with the 6 cuts and a few small cuts 10 and 20 gal tanks but I was pushing my luck I would not use a cheap bit to cut more then a total of 4 inches of glass.

Good luck!
P.S. have a beer handy it's a reward if you are successful a friend if your not!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to use a jig and fill it with water my only real concern is my drill dosn't have a speed setting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dr wethumb said:
I was going to use a jig and fill it with water my only real concern is my drill dosn't have a speed setting.
it's definatly not temperd i just fixed it up it was broken so i had some glass cut recently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dr wethumb said:
dr wethumb said:
it's definatly not temperd i just fixed it up it was broken so i had some glass cut recently.
and it is only 1/4 '' glass a little 33 that im making into a marine for my gf so i really don't want to break it

·
Registered
160 Posts
I made a jig by cutting a hole the size of my bit into a small piece of scrap plywood. I mounted the plywood to the tank with clamps. Then I used a dremel tool to etch a thin line around the perimeter of the hole for the bit to rest in when cutting. Then I removed the jig and drilled with a cordless drill and had water slowly running over it the whole time. I decided against the water **** because I thought it would be better to keep the shards cleaned out. I've seen both ways done so I guess it doesn't matter really, it was just my preference/instinct. Tip: Take a break every few minutes or you'll be prone to rush it. Apply zero pressure, let the bit do all the work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts