Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a convict alone in my 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium, but his color looked pale; the bars and stripes on him were really, really light. I put him in my 55 (but I'm swapping that for a 20) and his colors practically immediately brightened up. I tend to think it's because of the white substrate I had in the bookshelf. I have blueish-green gravel in the 55. Could that be the culprit of his paleness? I plan on painting the back of the bookshelf ocean blue, should I also change the substrate to bring out the color of the fish I will place in there temporarily?

·
Registered
284 Posts
With cons I would assume it's the extra space that darkened him up, not so much the substrate. Cons are very active and benefit from a lot of swimming room. In a tank that small he probably felt a bit trapped and vulnerable, so he lightened up. They tend to change colour with their mood.
Having said that, some cichlids; in particular jack dempseys; are strongly affected by the colour of the substrate.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I will probably just paint the back of the bookshelf, to see how it turns out. After that I will likely get rid of it. I seen a very nice 40 gallon breeder at Petsmart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts