Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will convict cichlids and pink convicts breed togeather? Is that considered crossbreeding or are they the same fish? Also if she were to get convicts, how many in a 55 gallon tank? Including some pink ones?

asking for a friend who doesnt' have internet but a love for cichlids.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
pinks and regulars can interbreed. It is a crossbreed, though I consider it an inconsequential one. Pinks are a man made morph of the convicts, so all you are doing is combining something that man has split into one again.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Convicts are south or central American cichlids. I like both ghosts and black black cons as they age go almost completely black. The ghost or pink cons are essentially the same they however are not albinos. I have a breeding pair of black cons which have had both black and pink fry. Meaning it's in my cons gene pool, yet appear totally black. They're cool fish and soon you will have many babies. In a 55 I would say you could have a few pairs. As long as you have a single dominant male and atleast a ratio of 2m 4f the dominant male won't pay attention to the other. That's atleast the case for mine, however my big male is very calm. Good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so do they not need one male to one female type thing, everything we can find on them says they "pair up"?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Sickaqua said:
so do they not need one male to one female type thing, everything we can find on them says they "pair up"?
I find that convicts pair up to raise a batch of fry, but they seem quite happy to choose a different male the next time around if one comes along that is superior to their eye.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yep they do pair up. I just recommended more females if you wanted more convicts. If you are happy with just a pair or two you can get some loaches or other fish. That or other female convicts would simply allow the pair to bond and not be aggressive with one another. Plus your male may breed with multiple females if that's something you want. Otherwise go with the pairs

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok she is going to purchase 8 convicts......4 pink and 4 black.....then see what happens when they get bigger....can she put an oscar or 2 in there as well or bad idea? The convicts are only 1.5 inches at the moment?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Fogelhund said:
I wouldn't consider them a crossbreed to be honest.
I can't argue with that either... Many call the pink an albino version of the Convict. Others call it a morph within the regular convict bloodline. Then, there are those who say it is now it's own breed because they breed true and are not complete albinos.

If you agree with those that call it a breed, then a mix of pink and regular are a cross breed.

Just goes to show that the terms aren't binary!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes stick with the convicts oscars get too big. Unless you plan on getting a 125 gallon 6 ft than go right ahead. Otherwise stick with the cons. If your friend is wanting a large fish my male black convict is 7 inches, very big hump on his head. It may take a year or two but so would an Oscar. Also I heard that recently somebody indeed catch a pink con in the wild. Thing is usually albinos and white animals simply don't survive long. However pink cons are not true albinos. I'm no expert but it came from a reputable source.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She may get a bigger tank later but she wants a fish in there that will help keep the fry to a minimum?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.