Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Hikari add at the top of some of the pages,it flashes back and forth from their food to a pic of cichlids. Does anyone know what the fish in the bottom middle is? It is the pink one with the blue fins.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
My vote is also for an albino type mbuna. Regarding the specific species, your guess is as good as mine, but there is no way that any fish would show those colors in a normal tank environment. It is either just swimming right below some odd colored fluorescent light bulb, or the photo has a nasty color cast. The latter could have happened in camera if the white balance is off, or it could have been added during post processing. That kind of thing is usually obvious because everything in the photo will show it, but the Hikari ad is likely a photo montage.

At any rate, the photo works well for an add because the fish is a total eye catcher. If I had a dollar for every user who asked me what type of fish that is, I'd be a rich man. It also shows what potential there is to make money with man made, and totally unnatural looking cichlid strains. If you could actually breed a red or flourescent pink mbuna, you could make a fortune selling those things.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Last time this was debated the vote was for male metriaclima estherae with weird lighting and/or photoshopped. The fish is actually a peach color and the fins only look blue like that in a photo due to the flash.

·
Registered
509 Posts
fmueller said:
If you could actually breed a red or flourescent pink mbuna, you could make a fortune selling those things.
There is a cherry red zebra for sale at one online vendor. It is extremely red. The vendor is honest about it being a hybrid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dotbomb said:
fmueller said:
If you could actually breed a red or flourescent pink mbuna, you could make a fortune selling those things.
There is a cherry red zebra for sale at one online vendor. It is extremely red. The vendor is honest about it being a hybrid.
I saw that same fish but I cant remember what site, it was a good looking fish though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts