Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was considering getting a set of these purely for the purpose of...disposing of my pink/standard convict fry.

Is there noticeable aggression between male and female?

Really hate to do this to them, but if I'm going to attempt to get marbled fry...the "wastes" need to go somewhere.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Actually, the marbled convicts are harder to find and more desirable in my area...or were you wanting to get rid of the non-marbled ones.

Either way, I've never used pikes for that purpose. But Pictus catfish work well.

G

·
When I read about pikes. It said they will eat anything that is half their body size and pretty predatory. So if the convict fry bigger they would still ''take care'' of them when another fish might not eat the bigger ones.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you are expecting to get marbles out of a pink/normal cross, be aware that you will not. Marble is a separate gene, recessive like the pink gene, I think. You cannot get Marbles unless there was marble in the ancestry of both parents.

However, as far as most standard pikes being good Convict young disposal units, yes, they are excellent. Pike Cichlids will eat another Cichlid as readily as they will eat minnows. Some predatory fish do not like the spines, and will ignore small Cichlids.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I was looking into getting a pair to eliminate the rejects (non-marbled).

I've heard they are angry fish as well, just was looking to get the mean of the mean (male/female and specific breed). I want no survivors!

Side note

The tank I will be putting these pikes will be a 75 with hardly any gravel, just a few hiding spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts