Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 6-1/2" long pike cichlid that has been struggling with what I think is Swim Bladder Disease. I am looking for advice on what else I can try to help him/her.

He originally was laying on his back in his cave. I started feeding him peas and he had a bowl movement, which was good, and he is no longer laying on his back. He seemed to be getting better, but he still had buoancy problems - his tail sticks up and he can't right himself. This has gone on for about 2-1/2 weeks. He has not lost his appetite - still gobbles up peas and has bowl movements.

His poop was stringy and puffy, so I thought it might be a bacterial infection. The other fish were getting aggressive, so and put him in a hospital tank two days ago with Maracyn-oxy. He is still alert and eating, and yesterday, his poop was more normal, but his tail is still up in the air and he won't leave his cave (maybe because there is no gravel in the tank and he can see his reflection on all sides so he feels unsafe?) Anyway, I'm open to any advice on meds (or no meds) to try. I do not want to nor do I know how to put a fish "down." He is alert and okay except his buoancy problem breaks my heart. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I dont know much about swim blader problems. But I hope it comes around for you. I love pike cichlids.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try epsom salts in his water. Go to wetwebmedia.com for dosage schedules. Otherwise I bet he'll be ok as long as you keep everything stable and warm in his hospital tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Badlad. Epsom salts are in. I will try to be patient. Thanks Rami for good wishes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bluenapG said:
Thanks Badlad. Epsom salts are in. I will try to be patient. Thanks Rami for good wishes.
No prob. My pike is becoming my favorite fish, he has a great personallity. He keeps trying to sneak up on the momma convict and steal her little wigglers.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Avoid using dechlorinator for the duration of treatment as it will neutralize the medication.
If there's no noticeable improvement following the course of treatment, I would try Maracyn 2 or Metronidazole.

·
Registered
705 Posts
if hes still eatting thats a good sign. honestly sounds like dietary issues of some kind perhaps due to internal parasite/infection. i would isolate as you have. keep up on good clean water for him and perhaps look up a new diet plan for him. w.e is reccomended on here is probably a good idea. idk much about pikes. but early on my discus were suffering from similar symptoms. they all pulled out of it given time and proper diet changes. maybe try getting lots of new foods? something to mix it up and keep him good on the insides. GL to ya and keep at it. dont give up on him since hes a fighter. he'll come around as you get more info and change things around. Also my two cents here but i dont reccomend meds of any kind without proper diagnosis. seems like ur still unsure and certain meds could make things worse...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GTZ and Anthranxx. I will take the advice and be patient. As long as he is alert, eating and pooping, I can wait it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its important to remember that most of these strongly carnivor cichlids have decreasing protein requirements as they get older. Individual tolerance varies to a great degree (indeed some never have problems) but its a safe average to decrease the total protein intake by 25%-50%. Full grown requires MUCH MUCH less. Increase the "roughage."
Many people disagree with this because its not the natural diet of, say, oscars to include 75% or more fiber, but wild oscars aren't asked to live longer than 2-3 years either....
Anyway, just a tip... if the problems are related to diet, they're unlikely to come back if you follow this rule. The water quality will be better to boot!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Badlad53 - Yes on the diet change. I thought feeding a fish peas was crazy, but he loves them and they seem to be helping. I'm looking forward to learning more about good food combinations. I'm very new at this, but have quickly become very passionate about caring for my fish. Stay tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts