Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My husband just brought home a pictus Catfish. He dumped it into my 45 gallon cichlid tank and I knew nothing about it so I did some research. I found that they have venomous spines and can really do some harm to a person. Will my cichlids be safe or if they get stung by the pictus will they be harmed/die?

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
The spines are not venomous though they can definitely cause injury to others when the fish is handled improperly. One website I checked states the venom is in the mucous coating the fin spines. I've kept this species with Malawi cichlids without any issue to the fish.

Avoid using a net when moving them as the pectoral and dorsal fins get tangled in the material. Use a plastic container to move them if you need to. I didn't know this when I moved a trio from one tank to another and ended up having to cut the netting to free the fish, slightly damaging one of the pectoral fins but it healed well eventually.

They do better in groups of at least 3 and will eat fish that it can fit in its mouth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts