Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post picutres for you all to see of the fish I bought yesterday. They are so intersting to watch swim, looks more like they are flying! Quick question is how long should it take for them to get settled in and not hide everytime they see me. They had no problem eating today and were happy to do so. I still have not turned the lights on in the tank, and might not ever, since the room is naturaly so bright.

Dargon Blood

Electric Blue

Ovates

Aulonocura Rubescens

Benga Sunshine

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It will depend on a lot of things but many fish will get used to you in less than a month. Some quicker. You may be amazed at how much they learn to know about you and the room around them. I find many of my fish love algae tablets and when I first started breaking them before dropping them in, the fish would scatter. Now when they hear that snap, they are first in line. They will know when strangers are in the room to look at them and may hide more. Food and seeing you put it in at pretty much the same time daily is a great way to get their loving attention! Most all of us can be bribed!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great looking fish :thumb: I find it usually takes about 2 weeks for new fish to settle in, but it could be a little longer, so don't worry. Make sure you feed those peacocks a high quality food so they keep showing those good colors.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Awesome. I need another tank for haps/peacocks! (and then one for tropheus)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm feeding them NLS food like I do my other fish. :) The only one that is not "shy" is the electric blue, luckly he is no longer picking on the other fish like he was yesterday. :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
very nice :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you compare fish to people, there are some things that do look the same. The big bully guy was not shy while the others were--- so he felt it time to take a shot at being king! Maybe given time, he will find that there are others in the tank just as big as him. Those peacocks may get tired of him being the boss. It most likely will be interesting to watch as things unfold. Don't worry if you see some shows of bluffing and maybe even some pushing and chasing. That's normal. When you need to be concerned is when one fish is trying to hide and the other is still there. Maybe got one in the corner and still beating. If that goes on for several days, the fish will suffer too much stress and likely have some wounds which may develop into disease. You want to give them time to work it out but stop it before anybody gets hurt. Just like kids at a playground??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts