Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at whats the best way to organize all the stuff that is always under my tank. So would like to see how you guys have everything laid out under your stands. I am planning on putting my 10g fry tank plus all the cords, nets, etc.... and other stuff that always seems to just get tossed under there.

I have done several searches both on here and google without much success so it would be nice to get some idea for the group.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigDaddyK said:
Wow, Very impressive! I was kinda thinking of doing something similar but rather using the 4 outlet boxes. Be less wiring and stuff to do, thats lazy side of me poking through there.

I went and looked and remember I used most of my stuff when I built the work bench in the garage so I might stick with the power strips. I have it setup now with one that has all the stuff I turn on while WC's and cleaning and the other is for the lighting and what not.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No pictures. I have a constant flow of different stuff running through. One small thing that helps me is marking the cords that plug into the power strip. I have loads of small gauge telephone wire so I use a color code on all my tanks. Red for heat, green for filters, black for powerheads and yellow for lights. I just wrap a few wraps around the plugs so I can see which is which.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PfunMo said:
No pictures. I have a constant flow of different stuff running through. One small thing that helps me is marking the cords that plug into the power strip. I have loads of small gauge telephone wire so I use a color code on all my tanks. Red for heat, green for filters, black for powerheads and yellow for lights. I just wrap a few wraps around the plugs so I can see which is which.
Thanks for the tip. I was gonna do a piece of tape on each with a label and write on it. I think a color code system would be way better now that I think about it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
PfunMo said:
Nice I like it . I went with tape and labels but find myself looking for a flashlight everytime. :x

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well about 2.5 hours later on Googles Sketchup I think I have all the plans for the rest of my stand all drawn up.

Should have a complete materials list on what I will need, the size of the peices that will be needed, and how I will lay out the spot for the fry tank and all that jazz.

Only thing I am thinking about now is how to attach the doors? Figures I would make the same style doors you see on the "Pine Stands" that you buy that are basically pine boards cut to length, laid next to one another and the a piece perpendicular across the back and fastened to the other boards is that makes sense. But should I make them the same size as the opening so they sit flush with the face of the stand? Or should I make them a little bigger so they sit on the face of the sheeting all the way around?

If I do that how much bigger should I make then the opening?

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have a stand that extends over the face and has little bumpers on the two corners. The length is 3/4" the height is only a 1/4 " over. The bottom is flush with the bottom piece of trim.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I got these measurements by measuring the opening and the door. So the length measurement is probably split to give good coverage from all angles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Flippercon said:
PfunMo said:
Nice I like it . I went with tape and labels but find myself looking for a flashlight everytime. :x
I mounted a small halogen light inside the cabinet, works great and puts off a ton of light.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm no artist in wood. With that in mind, I cheat when needed. I find it much better to let the doors overhang the opening just a bit for several reasons. One, it covers any imperfect work on the opening. Two, it does not need to be as exact to fit the opening. Wood shrinks and swells so fitting an exact door into an exact opening is tough to maintain. Three, I don't need handles to open the doors. I go for 1/4 to 1/2 inch overhang.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
xxbenjamminxx, thanks for posting this thread!

I'm having my stand redone so this thread is giving me a few ideas of what/how I want to accomplish things. 8)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DanniGirl

No problem just make sure you share your ideas with me as well! :wink:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You guys and gals should all be aware that there is a hazard involved in getting things exactly the way you want them. About the time I get it right, I find I want a different piece of equipment and it all goes down the drain! Then while I'm redoing things-----I might as well get another tank. Usually bigger!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
PfunMo said:
You guys and gals should all be aware that there is a hazard involved in getting things exactly the way you want them. About the time I get it right, I find I want a different piece of equipment and it all goes down the drain! Then while I'm redoing things-----I might as well get another tank. Usually bigger!
This is very true. I started with 2 ten gallons and started building stands ,got new equipment and now I'm up to 12 tanks . :p

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PfunMo said:
Trust me I know, I am on my 3rd stand in about a year. First 2 were store bought ones, and then I realized that a custom one is what I needed. Just got a new Eheim and Fluval canister, New fry, new main tank, n all the trimmings so i should be set on this one at least for awhile! I HOPE!!!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
PfunMo said:
LMAO! How true. There's always a better way, right? ...HAHA!

I'm having a stand welded up because all the other ones are too short, not enough room, etc.... :roll:

And...I can't decide whether I want wood or acrylic paneling (has to match the decor, :p ) so I oped for a welded frame which can be modified to accommodate either wood or acrylic. 8)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
DanniGirl

No problem just make sure you share your ideas with me as well! :wink:
Oh, I will! One thing- I'm installing lights inside the stand so I don't have to search for a flashlight. :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here is the start of how I am planning on adding an elevated spot for my fry tank to make siphoning easier.

On thing is I am looking for an idea to make the space under the fry tank accessible to allow me to slide my coiled up hoses or nets or something under there so it isnt just wasted space.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oops double post sorry,

Thinking of a way to make the end of the raised section without the 2x4 to allow access under there. Think a piece of angle iron across the peices in front and back will be enough to support the sheeting that the fry tank will sit on?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts