Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see some pics of these tank setups...........im thinking of doing a shellie (multie or occie) and julie (dickfeldi) setup in a 20g long (currently setup and ready to go) or i might swap that to a 29G......would that work in the 20 long? would it be better to switch to the 29G?

Thanks......
Robb

·
Registered
87 Posts
A 20G long and 29G have the same footprint (or the ones I was looking at today did!) so if you're going with shellies the extra height might not help so much.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If the rocks are piled high, then the extra height might help the julies. My multies use the entire height of my tank, although it's only 18" tall.

I ended up moving some of the shells forward to keep the multies from harassing the julies too much. My julies are j. Transcriptus.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laurel said:
If the rocks are piled high, then the extra height might help the julies. My multies use the entire height of my tank, although it's only 18" tall.

I ended up moving some of the shells forward to keep the multies from harassing the julies too much. My julies are j. Transcriptus.
Thanks.....great setup....... :thumb:

what size is that tank? and how many shells per shelly? three?

Robb

·
Registered
663 Posts
My 55 gallon Tanganikya Tank with loads of happy multies. It's like a darned multi orgy in there I tell ya! :lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TrashmanNYC said:
Laurel said:

Robb
I have 5 multies, and 13 shells. I'm going to get rid of the biggest multie who's been harassing the julies too much. I'm pretty sure he's the big bad male, but if one of the 4 others aren't males, I'll find out when they stop having fry, and I'll know to get a new one.

It's a 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube, but I think the actual volume is closer to 24 when you calculate the wet/dry portion. The usable area for the fish is about an 18" cube.

Here's how it looked minus the java fern. I think it really made a huge difference!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Here is a pic of my multi and julie 30 gal. Sorry for the pic quality, can't seem to hold the camera still...
Rocks on one side, shell bed on the other.
I had to plant "visual barriers" because the multis are all over the aquarium bothering the julies.
The plants dividing things up a little has helped some.
Hopefully I can rearrange the plants when things settle down.
Also, there are some orange glow danios I thought I'd need as dithers to draw out the fish.
It seems they are unnecessary... :roll:

Alicem

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

Here's my 20 long dedicated to breeding my J. transcriptus. Since moving them to this tank last month, they've trickle-spawned constantly... How many fry can you count? :lol: They were breeding in my community tank, but the fry stayed hidden mostly, and were predated on heavily. The parents have bred in, on, and under the conch shells, being much less secretive than they were in the community tank. The pair uses the whole tank because they can, and if I had my multies in there, they'd be more on edge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I notice that a lot of you have live plants in you tang tanks. I was told that live plants and african cichlids don't mix, maybe lake tanganyika fish are exempt from this rule? What are your thoughts???

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Laurel said:
TrashmanNYC said:
Laurel said:

Robb
I have 5 multies, and 13 shells. I'm going to get rid of the biggest multie who's been harassing the julies too much. I'm pretty sure he's the big bad male, but if one of the 4 others aren't males, I'll find out when they stop having fry, and I'll know to get a new one.

It's a 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube, but I think the actual volume is closer to 24 when you calculate the wet/dry portion. The usable area for the fish is about an 18" cube.

Here's how it looked minus the java fern. I think it really made a huge difference!
the plants make it look a lot better :thumb:
so do you think julies and shellies would work together in a 20g long?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TrashmanNYC said:
the plants make it look a lot better :thumb:
so do you think julies and shellies would work together in a 20g long?
I don't know. Mine are still working that out themselves. I was told that it could, and to go with smaller julies(transcriptus, ornatus). The multies pick on the julies and ended up killing a smaller one. I'm gonna try to get 3 more to hopefully build a pair that will get bigger than the multies and stand up to them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
As far as live plants go, The statement that african cichlids (or just cichlids in general) and plants don't mix is overused, too general and just not true. Sure some cichlids will tear up plants but some won't. There are lots of people keeping plants with many different types of cichlids. None of the fish in my tanganikya tank bother the plants at all, but I've kept fish that will destroy any plant I put in a tank before as well. It all depends on the type of fish.

Bottom line is people that say cichlids and plants don't mix don't really know what they are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It could also be they are talking about a biotope. Lake Tanganyika has plants only in certain areas, and I believe some of the fish we like to keep live in those areas only as fry.

My mbuna nibbled my plants and I didn't like the tattered look. But my carnivore Calvus leave them alone, so that's working.

·
Registered
445 Posts
:eek: all of your tanks are beautiful.. so i was wondering... i know i posted this on another but if anyone can give me a pair of multie i will buy them from you ..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts