Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to get a couple pictures of my extremely skittish firemouth!

He’s pretty big, I’d guess between 3-4 inches! Depending on the lighting, he changes color almost like a chameleon! If I just turn on the blue LEDs, he sports a fire engine red undercarriage. But when I have the full lights on, he’s as pale as a ghost.

I tried to get more pictures, but whenever I got close to the tank, he high-tails it outta there! Even if I am sitting down(as my sofa is next to the tank), and I turn my head to watch him, he immediately stops swimming and freezes in place; it’s like he knows I’m watching him. But he has been a lot more outgoing since I acquired the 6 tiger barbs.

And last, but not least, my pride and joy, Elijah. He’s always happy to pose for the camera!

I got a closer look at the algae eater, and he appears to have some chunks bit out of him. But he’s a bit thicker then I knew, but he’s still no match for my breeding pair of cons, who have relegated him to basically just hanging on the filter intake tube or thermometer for safety! Both convicts have him toeing the line now, as they have claimed almost the entire tank. I haven't measured, but I'm guessing that Elijah is about 2 inches now.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, the firemouth will warm up to you after a few weeks, be sure to be present when u feed. I put my flakes into the filter flow so that they get shot down into the tank, and eventually the FM will realize that when you're around, that means food is coming! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Yeah, the firemouth will warm up to you after a few weeks, be sure to be present when u feed. I put my flakes into the filter flow so that they get shot down into the tank, and eventually the FM will realize that when you're around, that means food is coming! :thumb: :thumb:
Yea, I think he's already beginning to get the notion that that stranger behind the glass (me)= food. Here is a pic of him right after he ate a Hikari Massivore Delight tablet:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Cool Firemouth Elijah! :thumb:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Melanochromis. Yea when I bought him I picked out the biggest, most colorful specimen I could find. But in my LED lighting, he doesn't seem to color.

·
Registered
801 Posts
TBH I think most juvenile firemouths start out this way and develop more colour as they mature.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Melanochromis said:
TBH I think most juvenile firemouths start out this way and develop more colour as they mature.
I hope thats the case, but at the time I bought him, he was extremely colorful and at the front of the tank. But when I think about it, he looked like he was paired off with a female. Maybe he just misses her?

·
Registered
801 Posts
No they all develop adult colouration in time. I've seen a 3 inch Firemouth at an LFS with no others in the same tank and it's colours were quite bright. Give him time he'll come good in the end. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts