Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, here are some pictures of my new apistogramma nijsseni in my 72 bowfront. (plus a few of a pair of gold rams that I couldn't resist.) Let me know what you think.

Dominant female defending her rock pile

Another of the females

A little argument over who's cave this is

More female shots

The dominant male:

With a little more color showing:

My pair of gold rams (They're ALWAYS together)

Close-up of male:

They've all been in the tank for less than a week, so I'll try to keep up with pictures as they grow and keep coloring up.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi xWingman48,

You have great dwarf cichlids. I particularlly like your female apistogramma nijsseni. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Are there any other cichlids in your 72g? any other non-cichlids?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words Matt.

I'm still setting the tank up, so it's got a minimal stock list so far. I do also have 6 Amano shrimp and 6 Nerite snails in there, but that's it so far.

I'm going to add 10-15 Cardinal tetras as soon as my LFS gets them back in stock, and I'm eventually going to try to get a pair of angelfish in their as well. (starting with 6 and then removing all but the most attractive pair).

I'm also probably going to get some more bottom feeders in there, but I haven't decided what yet. (Probably some cory cats or kuhli loaches).

Here's the thread I started when I was getting this tank up and running (click here)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi xWingman48,

Sounds like you have a good plan. The angels will be a nice addition.

Although you didnt ask; personally, I would go for approximately 8 smaller growing corries, like juili, for three reasons: 1) to keep all inhabitants (except the shrimp) from SA; 2) the corries will take up less room and are less frantic than the loaches, keeping you dwarf cichlids less stressed; and 3) I prefer the look, temperament, and social structure of the corries over the loaches.

Seems to be a great tank in the making, although it is already quite cool, just lightly stocked.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice mlancaster. I'm always open to hear what other people think, so bring it on!

You're not the first person to recommend cories over kuhlis, so I've got 6 sterbai cories on order through my LFS and a bunch of cardinal tetras. They may come in today, so I may have some updated pics soon.

I've also been keeping an eye out for some quality angels to add. I found some links with the Philippene Blue and Pinoy angels. Those look fantastic! Has anyone on here had those? If so, send me a PM and let me know where you got them from. (...or if you're willing to ship any).

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you're planning on angels I would choice a deeper bodied tetra species, cardinals are an expensive snack for angels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts