Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these guys (10) from someone at the OCA extravaganza for $6.... Not $6 a piece! $6 for all ten! Just thought I'd share since they're so personable :) Right now they're in a 185, 5'x2'x30" tall. They're in with four Keyhole cichlids. Once they get a little bigger they'll come out, for now they range in size from 3/4"-1 1/4".

Anyone else have any festae? Lately I've been on a SA cichlid kick and am havin'a blast!

Comments or questions are always welcome!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i think the profiles are wrong, i believe they can attain 16" everywhere except here lists it as 16" anyway.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i thought the world record was 20" :? , oh well, their still cute little things, as are all baby cichlids, are they very personable at that size?

·
Registered
329 Posts
just ordered one.. it was $5.99 and is 2inches u got a great deal!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The funny thing is... They were on my list to find at the show and when I went to the guys room who had them he was sold out of everything and had packed up and gone :? Then someone asked what I was looking for and then directed me (in the form of a discription) who it was that bought his entire stock of festae.... so th hunt was on. I knew the guys name and what he was wearing :lol: I took me two hours to find him, and when I did he ended up being a great guy and gave me a great deal :thumb: I'm sure he offered the original seller a deal to buy all the fry but I didn't care, I was willing to pay $5 a piece for six of them.... and ended up getting 10 :lol: I'm not quite sure what the heck I'm going to do with all of them but it'll be fun figuring it out :thumb:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I know, it's not like you have any tank space. What are we working w/here, a 55G w/a spare 20L if problems arise??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
329 Posts
at what size do these fish get red?? seen alot of juvies and they are just silver looking with the black bars and verry little hints of reds and violets in the fins. but when do they color up to look somewhat like an adult and when can u tell male vs female??

·
Registered
829 Posts
roman_back said:
at what size do these fish get red?? seen alot of juvies and they are just silver looking with the black bars and verry little hints of reds and violets in the fins. but when do they color up to look somewhat like an adult and when can u tell male vs female??
Females will usually have a lot of black on their dorsal fins. Spangles (some say indicate male) are present on my 7" female's fins. Spangles by themselves aren't neccessarily a good indicator of male or female. You will probably start to see good coloration between 4" and 6". Better food usually equals better coloration. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts