Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured after posting about a few times, and all the help I have received from the board here, I would let everyone get a look at the tank. Let me know what you think and if I need to make any changes.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Looks good. Have you added the occie's yet? Looks like room for only one male and maybe one or two females, but that's enough. I'd start them very small in there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks prov! No I haven't added them yet. I am getting them on Wednesday. I am getting a group of 6 that are supposedly anywhere from .75" to 1". My hope and prayer is that out of the 6 I can get a pair or 2 out of it and trade in the rest at the LFS. Do I need to add anything or should I be ok?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Size of the fish is good to start with. One thing you might want to consider is a rock/plant in the middle as a territory/sight break. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. You could always wait and see on that. Another thing I've found with occies is that males may at first drive all others out of their territory including females when first gettting established. I've also found other small shellies to be the same. You may need to add more hiding places for them, maybe at the ends of the tank. The plant on the left is good, so maybe more of that. You can wait and see, just some ideas for you. I've seen females and sub-males get pushed into corners in bigger tanks. I've seen them get rejected after spawning a time or two and get pushed out. Seems when I had two breeding pair and things were stable, it didn't last long. Very interesting fish when things are going well and they're breeding, just be ready to manage this. Actually a good thing, as it can make the tank more interesting that way. Feels gratifying to change things up and have it actually work out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are good things to look for. I figure I will give it maybe a week or so to see how things will play out before I try to make any changes. I am still deciding if I want to add maybe some fake plants as well. I love live plants but I am slowly running out of them from my previous planted SA tank, and I am finding that many of them are not surviving the ph swing.

I will post some updates later to get everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just a note about your plants, often if they come from a lower pH, their leaves will die off, but the plant doesn't necessarily die completely. Given time, they will often come back and make new leaves. Anubias and java fern often do alright even at the higher pH.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good to know. I hope they do because it took me a long time to get that anubias to first stick to the rock, and then grow.

Fish come in tomorrow, and I can't wait to get them situated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts