Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my newest tank. It's a 125 gallon community set up. It's a work in progress I still have to add plants. The water is stained yellow from all the rootwood and will eventually clear up. For fish I have:

8 rummynose tetras

3 rams 1m 2f

6 dicrossus maculatus

2 L333 hypancistrus plecos

1 red tail shark that I'm trying to trap to get him out.

I'll add more pics as I make changes. I'd like to be able to catch some of my plecos.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
londonloco said:
WOW..where did you get that wood? Is it wood? Adding plants will be awesome in this tank.
Yeah it's wood. I bought it from a local fish store. I paid about $600. They had a mountain of the stuff. I was told it's been banned from export out of africa and this was the last the store was getting. I bought some a long time ago and there was a war in the country it came from. It was 10 years before I saw it again. I grabbed as much as I could whisle it's still available.

·
Registered
532 Posts
jd_7655 said:
1 red tail shark that I'm trying to trap to get him out.

I'll add more pics as I make changes. I'd like to be able to catch some of my plecos.

Nice setup. :thumb: But unless you have a stroke of luck, I think you're gonna have to pull all that rootwood out of the tank and make it a barren wasteland to catch that shark. Just my dos centavos.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get him one way or another. I'm gonna go buy some nylon mesh and cover the wood. I'll leave one opening for him to get out. When he comes out I'll close off the opening so he can't get back in. If that don't work I have very tiny ice fishing hooks. I've done both but the nylon is a pain in the rear it might be days before he comes out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
jd_7655 said:
I'll get him one way or another. I'm gonna go buy some nylon mesh and cover the wood. I'll leave one opening for him to get out. When he comes out I'll close off the opening so he can't get back in. If that don't work I have very tiny ice fishing hooks. I've done both but the nylon is a pain in the rear it might be days before he comes out.
You can also wait him out. Wait till he goes in a piece of rootwood, then get a net and cover the opening so he's stuck. Then pull the 1 piece of root wood out with the net covering it. This is how I caught my African sickleds when I returned them to my LFS. It works wonders.

Because when you open the lid and dip the net in, most fish would hide in the nearest cave. Sitting ducks. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hollyfish2000 said:
that tank is begging for some swords along the back or maybe vals . . .
I'm gonna get some big Anubia Minima. They get big with narrow leaves. The whole tank is gonna be anubais.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Elijah - just a quick correction - it's spelled "cichlids", rather than "sickleds" - soft "c" :thumb:

Sorry, guess that's what I get for being a teacher

·
Registered
532 Posts
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Elijah - just a quick correction - it's spelled "cichlids", rather than "sickleds" - soft "c" :thumb:

Sorry, guess that's what I get for being a teacher
Yea I know :oops: . I spell it how its sounded out. If a deaf guy came accross the words cichlid and sickled. Which one do you think he would pronounce correctly?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
ebjdftw said:
i don't think a deaf person would worry about pronunciation ;)
well put

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.