Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some brichardi dafoldi, lelupi and calvus in a 60 gallon tank, readings are all normal though the nitrate is a bit high (adjustment to bioload and I can't do a huge water change at once or it will affect the brichardi too heavily) at around 40-60 ppm.

I've tried feeding everything from live black/blood worm, to Ocean Nutrition OmniCichlid flake foods, to NLS Growth, to TetraColor and notice little to no interest in food from any of the fish.

They have only been in the tank for about 40 hours now - but I'm used to dealing with SA cichlidss which have a much more healthy appetite from the get go.

Am I doing anything wrong - or is this normal behavior for Tangs? I know jack about African cichlids - am I feeding the right foods? Should I be trying somthing different?

The fish ARE eating, just very very very sparingly, and I only see maybe a couple brave enough to come out of their rock work and peck at some foods.

Do Tangs just not gorge themselves like SA cichlids do?

·
Registered
97 Posts
tangs do usually take a while to adjust to their new environment.. you might want to leave the lights off and leave them for 24 hours or so they can adapt to their new environment.. don't feed bloodwarms.. that can potentially cause bloat for many tang fish.. even calvus although they are very needy in terms of protein.. get some brine shrimp.. that is the ultimate favorite for any tang fish except vegeterians like tropheus+gobies.. brine shrimp should attract a lot of attention from them.. and omega1 is also good.. NLS growth should also be good.. i feed mine omega1 with occasional treats of brine shrimp and they are all doing very well.. good luck, update us..

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
First, stop feeding. Don't feed anything for 48 hours from now. Leave the lights off, do daily water changes, and then feed sparingly. If you have tried all those foods within 40 hours, you need to do some cleanup before the bioload gets really out of wack.

Why can't the brichs take healthy water changes? I do 50% on my tanks with much more sensitive species with baking soda, epsom salts and Prime water conditioner. They will be happier with cleaner water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts