Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :) . I'm in process of getting my tank restocked and I already have my selections picked out except for the species that will be the "main attraction" of the tank, so to speak. The fish I will have already once I get said fish will be (sets of 1 male to 3 females) blue cobalts, yellow labs, and an undecided peacock species.

I'm learning fast but I'm still very new to this, and don't know about the various types cichlids more than google images and whatnot can show me. I would love a compatible large fish, and colorful of course. Not sure If what I'm hoping is actually possible but if anyone would know I'm sure it's one of you. Thank you so much for any input I can get on this I'm pretty clueless on this particular subject.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could try for a male german red or sunshine peacock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Peacocks might not color up as much as you would like with the mbuna, but you could try a Lwanda or one of the Jake variants. They are known for being a bit more aggressive. I personally think the Lwanda is the coolest peacock out there anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Teggy,
Well I have a very similar setup that is up and working quite well for me. I have Yellow Labs, Cobalt Blue Zebras and OB (Orange Blotch) Peacocks. At this point in my fish keeping the OB Peacocks would probally not be my first choice if I was to do it over again. But I started out with a very limited local fish store. On the flip side of that I am very happy with my tank because the most important consideration for me was to have a peaceful tank. I have a very stressful job and have no interest of watching my fish fight all night when I get home. I will say that all the fish in my tank get along extreemly well with no fighting between species.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second the LWANDA. It is gorgeous. I also love the NGARA Flame Tail. (both peacocks)

·
Registered
302 Posts
S. fryeri. A single male or a small group depending on the size of the tank would probably be a good fit behaviorally. They are fairly common and cheap but they look really good.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Aulonocara "Lwanda" red top are nice...

another "Lwanda"...

another "Lwanda" too...

Aulonocara "Jacobfriebergi" tanzania are very nice as well....

Aulonocara "Maulana" bi-color 500 are nice too....

Aulonocara Eureka Reds are also very nice...

Aulonocara Ruby Reds are great...

another Ruby Red...

Aulonocara "Usisya" flavescents are great as well...

Aulonocara "Ngara" red flametails are one of my favorites too...

another Ngara red flametail...

more Ngara red flametail...

Aulonocara "Kandeensee" blue orchids are super nice...

Aulonocara "Turkis" turquoise are nice...

Aulonocara "Baenschi" benga sunshine...

Protomelas "Taiwan Reef" are hard to beat though...

another Taiwan Reef...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cichlid_baby,

They are beautiful. All of them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love you all! I had been too busy to check all my posts until just now and I'm blown away by all the suggestions thank you! Good timing too because I just sent out an email to order some fish including Sunshine Peacocks, but I just may call him right now to change those sunshines to Lwandas. Those are stunning! Aulonocara "Kandeensee" blue orchid also blows me away, I wish I could get both lol.

That's it I'm calling right now lol, gonna get some Lwanda instead of the Sunshines. I still have fish to pick however, so I'm not done yet lol. Thank you all so much this was exactly what I was hoping for when I made this post :)

The tank is a 135g by the way, forgot to answer that.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Since it is a 6ft tank. For a show fish, these guys are right around 8in now and peaceful to boot.

Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli)

Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya lol all those beautiful fish made me want a male Peacock tank lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spilonotus Tanzania you say hmm? That may be exactly what I want eventually as the large solo fish in the tank.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Teggy said:
Spilonotus Tanzania you say hmm? That may be exactly what I want eventually as the large solo fish in the tank.
Here he is with sub-adult/old juvie yellow labs back in Feb. 2010.

A lot more size/mass than my peacocks.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
cichlid_baby,

Love your collection.... very nice show type peacocks/haps.

how big are their tanks? they are in their individual tanks right? how big are they and whats their diet?

how i wish our LFS here have those kind of peacocks and haps.

Quality peacocks/haps indeed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts