Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 75 gallon aquarium off a friend of mine who forgot to mention it was drilled lol...

It has a corner overflow system that looks like this

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/ ... ariums.htm

minus the tubing.....

Since I already have a fluval 305 canister filter, would it be a better idea to seal the 2 holes in the tank with a piece of glass, or setup a sump?

I'm thinking the sump may be a good idea but I'm undecided as I'd have to build it or buy one.

Anyone ever use the Aqueon sump kits?

I have a ten gallon tank laying around i could use to make a sump, but would that be large enough?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would just plumb the fluval up to those holes. I would think trying to plug them and get a water tight seal could be a problem or a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But if I put the fluval hoses up those holes, I would have to seal them in there anyhow wouldn't I ?

I wasn't thinking of plugging them, more like getting a piece of glass for that corner, siliconing around the holes both inside and outside, then more silicone around the outer rectangle or square of the piece inserted....

·
Registered
509 Posts
You'd use the fluval hoses only to get you to where it is cut out. You'd put in the proper diameter standpipe/return piping for the rest with tubing/pipe connectors and adapters to make the connection to the fluval.

·
Registered
584 Posts
fuhreakz said:
The holes are in the bottom of the tank, think that would make a difference?
It would work but absolutely MAKE SURE you are lubricating and regularly replacing your o rings, otherwise all of that pressure is gonna be all over your floor one day.

If it were me, I wouldn't hook the hoses right up to that, I would install an overflow and use my canister that way. This greatly reduces the pressure on the canister, and even if the overflow leaks on the bottom it will still work fine, whereas if a plug leaks, umm, get the mop out lol.

I would put the return hose on the other side of the tank, hook it up just like a sump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John27 said:
fuhreakz said:
The holes are in the bottom of the tank, think that would make a difference?
It would work but absolutely MAKE SURE you are lubricating and regularly replacing your o rings, otherwise all of that pressure is gonna be all over your floor one day.

If it were me, I wouldn't hook the hoses right up to that, I would install an overflow and use my canister that way. This greatly reduces the pressure on the canister, and even if the overflow leaks on the bottom it will still work fine, whereas if a plug leaks, umm, get the mop out lol.

I would put the return hose on the other side of the tank, hook it up just like a sump.
Sooooo.....

Setup an overflow since its already cornered off..... have the overflow go to a 10 gallon tank and run the inlet on the canister to the 10g tanks, and the output from the canister back into the tank?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would think water column height is water column height no matter where or how it is piped. If his pipe runs inside the tank or outside it is the same height of water.

If his tank was shaped like a funnel and both the inlet and outlet were flush mounted at the bottom that'd be a different story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the sum to connect PVC pipe to, and then found the appropriate hose barb to 1" pvc theaded male pipe adapter. everything's glued and clamped, I have no worries about a leak. but the canister does need head pressure from the intake line to work properly. That's why I plumed the intake line directly into the drilled hole.

good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts