Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've had this Yellow Tail Acei holding for a little less than 3 weeks, which is about the holding period, and haven't really noticed any more aggression towards her than usual, but today I noticed she has a mark on her side, I beleive it was the Kenyi in my tank. I want to move her to a tank, but have absolutely no way to get a tank any time soon. What should I do?! Could I put her in like a little fish bowl for a little bit using water from the tank and have her spit in there? I care about the fry, but care about the mother more. Keep in mind the cichlid is only 2 1/2 inches or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Considering your circumstances that you can't even get a 10g quarantine tank you have no shot at raising the fry. let her spit in the main tank and allow for the babies to be eaten unless you want to get at least a 29g for a grow out for the fry.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Well won't she continue to be picked on if she remains in the tank?
You can always just strip her and put the fry in the tank for 'nature to take its course' (or use a breeder net) if you are concerned for mom.

The odds are very high that the Kenyi is going to pick on everyone more and more as time goes on - I would wrap my mind around that probable eventuality. One mark on the side is nothing if he decides the entire tank is his, as Kenyi are want to do.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoofBoy yeah I was debating of getting rid of the Kenyi when I upgraded to my 75, people saying all the aggression issues has never really been a problem with me. This has finalized my decision, definitely getting rid of them. Dont want to have a ton of dead or injured fish right? lol

How do I strip her?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
GoofBoy yeah I was debating of getting rid of the Kenyi when I upgraded to my 75, people saying all the aggression issues has never really been a problem with me. This has finalized my decision, definitely getting rid of them. Dont want to have a ton of dead or injured fish right? lol

How do I strip her?
View this.

From your descriptions you have a male just starting to change - the aggression should go way, way, way, up as he matures.

Seems that Kenyi, M auratus, and Ps crabo cause more problems for new cichlid keepers than everything else combined because they are readily available, cute when small, but best housed in a 6ft+ tank, or even better just left in the lake itself :lol:.

I had a male M auratus completely wipe out a tank while I was gone one weekend back in the day, that finally cured me of trying to keep the hyper-aggressive mbuna species.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes but everyone has different experiences with fish, always gotta think the ones you have are different and its hard to part with fish you've gotten used to.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way, just stripped my Acei. Got about 20-30 babies from her haha very surprised. Didn't have anything to put them in, so just added them to the main tank. Lets just say after about 30 seconds there weren't any babies left. :eek:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
At least you saved the mom....Whenever I didn't feed my tank for more than two days(And mind you, I'm not the kind of guy to underfeed :D ), I could almost count on the fish to kill at least one holding female...evidence is that their mouths were all shattered. This reduced my acel ratio from 1:8 to 1:5. AT the fish weren't even the aggresive type! Acei, yellow labs, red peacocks, a singleton frontosa(I didn't know at that time) and some synodontis eupterus. :x

I guess as you say, every fish is different :? Just my two cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts