Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try any of these to control/eliminate diatoms? I have a couple of tanks that have been up for close to 2 years, and they still get alot of brown diatom growth. I'm thinking of trying one of these, but I don't want to waste $ if they don't help. I'm using PFS and I have well water, so I think the combo of those tow may be contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
phosphates,silicates and low light all contribute,
I got seachems phosguard and put it in my HOB,
I found a slight difference in amounts of diatoms,but in my case didnt eliminate the problem,
I changed substrate(silicate based P.F.S.)with caribsea white cichlid mix,increased lighting intensity and duration and put phosphate removing pads in my HOB-no more diatoms-even if the glass lids are dirty they will deminish light intensity which in my case couldnt be cleaned,so I ended up replacing those as well,hope this helps you

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info new. I know I won't be changing out the pfs, so I may just have to give it a try. I did recently change my T5 NO to HO, and seems to have helped some. My next move is to put on a good set of reflectors to see if it helps even more. Right now the lights are just mounted to the inside of my canopy, over glass lids.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts