Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this little guy from pet smart ( so im almost sure he isnt wild caught)
Hes been in my tank for about a month, and my ph is about 7.2 maybe a little higher.
He is full of life, and havent noticed his colors fading or anything, is it because he isn't wild caught that hes thriving in this low ph?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Definately not wild caught at petsmart. Lake Malawi cichlids should have a ph around 7.8 - 8.6. More important than hitting the proper number is maintaining consistancy. If you want to raise your ph do it gradually. Baking Soda is a cheap way to raise your ph.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have him in with tiger barbs, can i even raise it? he seems to be doing fine. and the ph is consistant, i change the water about every other day to keep it above 7

·
Registered
391 Posts
Water quality and consistency will be as/more important than PH.

If you want to buffer the water up without chemical additives try adding Coral or limestone rock to aqua scape. You could also add Coral fingers/ oyster shell into your filter. this will have a more consistent effect than adding something tho your water which is getting changed all the time.

Nothing wrong with small (10-15%) every two days.
In fact it is great if you are vacumning as well as you can feed heavily and get very healthy fish that way.

A healthy E Yellow in good water and on good food will live in PH 7 no worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts