Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i accidently added too much rift lake buffer mix and the ph is too high i think, the color from my high range test kit is a pink purple color and it doesnt match anything on the card. How should i fix this?? can i just do a series of massive water changes and get most the buffer out??

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Water changes would be the solution. But, the urgency really depends on the species you're keeping. Also, depending on what 'buffer mix' you used, there may be a max pH that it'll achieve. Sodium bicarbonate, for instance, won't raise it more than about 8.3 or so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im keeping african cichlids and im using the buffer recipe on the site, so i assume that since im using that recipe with baking soda i cant have a pH higher than 8.3 so im safe and its my test kit.
Im going to do a 75% wc tonight anyways just to be safe. :thumb:

I have the API master test kit that has the one large color card and i run into problems all the time where the solution color doesnt come close to matching anything and theres the problem of two values having the same color, on nitrates 10ppm and 20ppm is completely indistinguishable. Im starting to really dislike this test kit :x

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Two things:

First, unless you're keeping sensitive Tanganyikan cichlids or anything wild caught, pH really isn't that important. I mean, yes, it's better to have it at least slightly basic (above 7), but you probably won't see any adverse affects if it's within that range. That said, you don't want to make a sudden change.

Second, 10-20ppm nitrates isn't really an important distinction. Both are regarded as completely safe levels for most/all fish.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
He's right, you want to add sodium bicarb to bring the KH up, that's what you focus on. pH will rise, but more importantly, it'll be stable.

There's no harm in a high KH, so no need to feel that it's urgent to do a massive water change. Find a method, formula that keeps things stable and in a good range.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Post test results on your tap water, pH and KH, you might not have to buffer at all.
What does your tank pH end up at?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts