Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an established tropical tank (29 gallons) for around 5 months or so. I just recently set up my first cichlid tank (75), which is in its second day of a fishless cycle. I have a 10 gallon tank I set up about a week ago for my 5 month old daughter ( goldfish).

I just recently moved about a week ago. I just move acrossed a small town. When I moved my established tank I did about a 50% WC. I took 5 gallons from that tank and put it in the 10 gallon. I just set up and completed my 75 2 days ago (total setup: water, rocks, sand..etc.). My PH out of the tap was around 8.0 or so. With my 75 gallon I put straight tap water in (cichlid tank). The other 2 I did mixes of RO and tap to make the PH around 7.4 or so.

I have done nothing out of the ordinary. I did add Prime to all 3 tanks, but that has never affect my PH before. I also added "microbe-lift special blend" from a new 16oz bottle. I have used this before to get my 29 gallon established.

I have not a clue on what could be happening here. I have no idea when my 29 or 10 spiked because I was waiting for my API master test kit to come in the mail yesterday. MY 75 gallon spiked over night. What's going on? Any clues or ideas? Please help me!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You never said what it spiked to....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Your tap water has a high enough Kh to buffer the water back up to 8.0. Mixing RO water will not permanently change the ph due to the high Kh. If you want water that is 7.4 you will have to start with all RO water and add buffer until you reach a stable 7.4, this may take some experimentation and testing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had just read that ammonia spikes can trigger a ph rise is this true

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 10 gallon spiked up to 8.6 my 29 8.3 and my 75 around 8.5 or so.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Did you test for ammonia?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i did. My 75 had the same amount i added yesterday for the fishess cycle. The 10 had ammonia in it about 1 Pam. And my 29 had nothing. My 29 im kind of thinking i just mixed my water poorly. So im thinking it must be the ammonia that caused this all

·
Registered
656 Posts
whether you have ammonia or not has nothing to do with the fact that mixing RO water with regular water may not lower your ph permanently, If you have a high Kh reading from your tap.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What should i do then just use tap water for everything. Or should i use water after the softener for my tropical and my daughters 10 gallon for a lower kh level

1 - 9 of 9 Posts