Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My ph is maybe bit highr than 7.6 as my api test kit only goes to that so i reckon 7.8, is this ok for Tanganyikans or should i mess about with the baking soda?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not too sure. I know my Mbunas do great with pH of 8.2. I add 1 tsp of baking soda per 5 gallons added with each water change in my 55 gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
It is probably better to avoid trying chemicals to change the water since the fish are more affected by water quality, clean new partial water changes regularly. With Tanganyikans, if you add something, it can be cichlid salts. These are not the NaCl in your shaker but a variety of minerals attempting to replicate the chemical make up of Rift Lake water. It is important to b e consistent and accurate when treating water. Here is a direct link to one way to do this, from the library here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ ... recipe.php There are also commercial mixes specific to the rift lakes. Tanganyikans grow better when they have a source of iodine, either in foods from ocean sources or from reef aquarium additives. A director of a public aquarium told me many years ago to use a reef aquarium iodide, not Lugol's, at the dose for a reef tank. Not so important for adult fish, but it prevents some common maladies that are related to thyroid like deficiencies.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
7.6 is OK but get a high range pH kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mcdaphnia said:
It is probably better to avoid trying chemicals to change the water since the fish are more affected by water quality, clean new partial water changes regularly. With Tanganyikans, if you add something, it can be cichlid salts. These are not the NaCl in your shaker but a variety of minerals attempting to replicate the chemical make up of Rift Lake water. It is important to b e consistent and accurate when treating water. Here is a direct link to one way to do this, from the library here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ ... recipe.php There are also commercial mixes specific to the rift lakes. Tanganyikans grow better when they have a source of iodine, either in foods from ocean sources or from reef aquarium additives. A director of a public aquarium told me many years ago to use a reef aquarium iodide, not Lugol's, at the dose for a reef tank. Not so important for adult fish, but it prevents some common maladies that are related to thyroid like deficiencies.
Wow thats some good info ill check it out

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wish I had 7.6 or 7.8. My water is 7 with a KH of 1 and GH of 2.

Just leave it as is and make sure your KH is high enough to avoid fluctuation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts