Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My tap water is 6.3 my tank water is 8.2 because I have aragonite sand in it. I use a python for water changes how can I do a water change and not cause a huge ph swing? Currently I have 12 really small (about an inch) Altolamprologus Compressiceps Red fins in it and the tank is 75 gallons. This will be my first water change on this tank as its a new tank that was setup with a cycled canister filter from one of my other tanks. Can I add a water buffer like the Seachem Lake Malawi one to the tank right before refilling? Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
2,255 Posts
@Beaglemom , have you tested your tap water pH after it has set out after 24 hours? Just curious if there would be a difference after it off gases.

Some members use a separate container such as the Rubbermaid Commercial Brute 44 gallon trash can to premix tap water and appropriate buffers to be close to tank parameters. A bonus is you can also get the dolly so it's easier to move close to your aquarium.

You may want to consider checking out the Rift lake buffer recipe in the C-F Library and use Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) or Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) to adjust your parameters depending on what you need. If you don't already have them, consider buying a GH and KH test kits so you can fine tune your buffer solution.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Get a food grade 55 gallon drum. Cut the top off at the rib, then reverse top for a cover. Looks like this...
Tire Automotive tire Blue Tread Floor
Water Fluid Bucket Liquid Gas

Then you can buy a cheap submersible pump & connect to a Python to move water to tank. You can prepare your water let it off gas for a day or 2, test and add buffer/salts as needed. Can also drop a heater in there to get correct temp. Works like a charm. Use a circular saw to cut off the top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts