Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm trying to get some help or advice about my ph. When using the high range test, it always shows up very low around 7.2 but when using just the regular ph it is showing as at least 7.6. I read that African cichlids like it around 8.2 and I don't want to chase my ph. Does shrine have any suggestions on if this is okay or how to increase it naturally? (they have been living with this ph for more than 6 months)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cyphro said:
They should be fine, but you could add some shells to raise it up a bit over time.
What kind of shells? Any in particular?

·
Registered
210 Posts
nah, just whatever. You might want to soak them overnight if they are dirty or have been sitting a long time, though. I have a bunch of sea shells and other stuff like that which I originally picked up on the beach.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cyphro said:
nah, just whatever. You might want to soak them overnight if they are dirty or have been sitting a long time, though. I have a bunch of sea shells and other stuff like that which I originally picked up on the beach.
Well I live in southeast TN and we don't have beaches here lol. Maybe a fish store would sell them? If I can't find shells, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The crushed coral will probably give it a nicer look.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
I would just leave your pH where it is and not worry about adjusting it or adding anything to alter it as long as your test results show no change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't do a whole tank with crushed coral but you only need a handful. I have picked up coral for a couple bucks at various yard sales etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah *** had them for a while now and the ph has stayed the same. Just read on here they the ph needs to be higher and didn't know if I should change it. The rest of the parameters read just fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Electricyellow3 said:
Just read on here they the ph needs to be higher and didn't know if I should change it. The rest of the parameters read just fine.
If you are referring to the Species Profiles for individual fish, those measurements were probably taken by someone who was out catching or snorkeling with the fish, so temperature and pH may vary slightly throughout the year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deeda said:
Electricyellow3 said:
Just read on here they the ph needs to be higher and didn't know if I should change it. The rest of the parameters read just fine.
If you are referring to the Species Profiles for individual fish, those measurements were probably taken by someone who was out catching or snorkeling with the fish, so temperature and pH may vary slightly throughout the year.
Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts