Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im using seachem cichlid rift salts in my tank.

My ph remains at 8.2 - thinking the buffering capacity of coral sand has now kicked in

My gh is at 19 drops. 2 drops dark pink then 19 till it goes blue

My kh after every water change just keeps dropping... At one point it was as high as 17 then i slowly brought it down to 9 with small 10 litre water changes, Done a 45 litre vacuum/ water change last night.

Checked my kh before the WC (9) and retested it just now. Its dropped to 5 this afternoon.

What the **** is going on.

Ph is fine... Gh is high... Kh keeps dropping

The back of the bottle suggets 3/4 teaspoon per for 40l so i added in 1.5 teaspoons( double dosage) and its still dropped.

Fish are fine and healthy.

Tank is 260 litres

Ammonia, nitrite 0
Nitrates 10ppm

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
The pH is due to the cichlid salts...unlikely coral sand has any impact unless the pH from your tap is very low.

What is pH,KH and GH of your tap water?

KH is the key. If you are going to use cichlid salts, you would find your balance and then use it in correct proportions with every water change.

But often the tap water is fine.

Stability is more important than perfect parameters. Even if your tap has a low KH...bumping it just high enough usually works better than going for the ideal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tap water is as follows

Ph 6.0
Kh 1
Gh 1

Seachem salts seems more aimed at ph and gh. Has no reference on back of bottle regarding kh.

Tested again ( my testing times are all done early afternoon) kh has dropped again to 4.

I has set up a qt tank for new arrivals next week. 70% old tank water and 30% treated tap water.

Kh is at 1( or even 0 as it goes straight to yellow/ orange) same as tap water. Im baffled by it. Will need to see if seachem do a buffering salt for kh it looks like.

Had perfect stability using the JBL buffer and changed to seachem as its more readily available but now regretting it.

I assumed ph kh gh all went hand in hand too

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Is the main ingredient in Seachem sodium bicarbonate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts