Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used to use baking powder and epsom salt for ph and hardness. I cant remember the ratios. Maybe like 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Can somebody help me with this. TY

I fiugured i would post here cause it is high ph hard water fish!

·
Registered
705 Posts
if anything id stick with what you have. if your ph is that out of balance for the fish you wish to keep id suggest a change of stock ideas. just my two cents but a stable ph is far more important then a widely fluxing ph that your changing constantly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Anthraxx8500 said:
if anything id stick with what you have. if your ph is that out of balance for the fish you wish to keep id suggest a change of stock ideas. just my two cents but a stable ph is far more important then a widely fluxing ph that your changing constantly.
+1 What is your pH and why do you want to change it?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I don't use the marine salt, but this is helpful for amounts of epsom and baking soda, depending on your tap pH.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im just wanting whats best for the fish. I have used this method before 5 years ago, was very successful. I actually dont know what the ph is at moment just trying to get all my thoughts straight before i order fish.

Could anybody tell me what would be optimal ranges of ph, hardeness, etc. for Tanganyika?

TY :thumb:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
First you need test kits for pH GH and KH.

Without that information for your tap water, we have no idea how much you need to add, if any.

And Anthraxx- the purpose of adding baking soda is to stabilize pH. Depending on the OP's water, not adding soda and salt could be problematic. It's not as simple as you are suggesting. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts