Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I had a question about the cycling process, that I couldnt seem to find in any article I read. I just started my cycling today, and was wondering if the filters should be running 24/7? I figured they needed to be, but I was just curious. Also, my tap water is a 7.2 in pH, so is it important to get that up to where it needs to be in the beginning of the cycle? Or should I wait a week or so? I have 3 Emperor 400's running, and was told that I really dont need the gray carbon media cartridges, and that I could fill them with crushed coral instead to buffer the pH. Any help here would be appreciated. Thank you

And......who loves the smell of ammonia? LOL

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Good questions. Yes , on the filters running. You want the water to circulate to provide O2 to all parts of the water. The filters are designed with lots of little surfaces and the theory is that the good bacteria will begin to build their colony there. They also will be whereever else they can hang on, get food, and O2. Right now the first group food is ammonia. Stop sniffing the cork, You'll use up all the food!!! :wink:

Carbon is good for removing colors or chemicals like medicine. I might lay the carbon parts back for some time when you might need them for those items. For the PH, it is sometimes better to not try to raise it. It can be tricky depending on your water. Depending on your GH&KH, it may be easy or difficult. Do others in your area water find they need to raise it? The specs on fish are sometimes written so that we feel a fish REGUIRES certain PH when in fact the fish will do well if the PH is not quite right but stabil. They adapt if the PH is steady but may die if it bounces. The crushed coral will not hurt but it might not be needed.

Some food for thought while waiting for the ammonia to clear?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that makes sense. I can always take the carbon inserts out, and put them in when needed. Thank you for the advice!

Oh and believe me.....I'm trying to not smell the ammonia as much as possible. Pewww :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.