Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set up a 125 gallon all male peacock and hap tank and I had a question regarding the PH levels. The PH in the tank is consistently right around 8.8 which I know is on the high side for Lake Malawi cichlids. Would I be better off trying to lower that number somewhere closer to 8.2-8.4 or should I just keep it at 8.8? I currently have 13 peacocks and haps in the tank and they have been in there for a week or so and they all seem to be doing well. They are eating and all of the other water parameters are good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 20 ppm nitrate).

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far so good, but I didn't know long term if a PH that high would have any negative effects on the fish. The fish haven't even been in the aquarium for two weeks yet so that is why I asked the question I did. I was just looking for some advice from experienced fish keepers prior to it being too late and potentially having problems with my fish.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
BSUCardinal_81 said:
I have set up a 125 gallon all male peacock and hap tank and I had a question regarding the PH levels. The PH in the tank is consistently right around 8.8 which I know is on the high side for Lake Malawi cichlids. Would I be better off trying to lower that number somewhere closer to 8.2-8.4 or should I just keep it at 8.8? I currently have 13 peacocks and haps in the tank and they have been in there for a week or so and they all seem to be doing well. They are eating and all of the other water parameters are good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 20 ppm nitrate).

Thanks for your help.
Is this just your normal water source untouched that has such a high pH? Or have you added to adjust the pH?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my normal pH. Not adding anything. I'm on a well so our water is also naturally hard. I do have a lot of rocks in the tank as well but I tested the ph after filling a 5 gallon bucket and running a sponge filter overnight and reading was also right around 8.8-8.9.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Well, if the water is fine otherwise, you probably are okay. Short term you will not see any bad "symptoms", if the water is clean the fish are pretty adaptable.

You could research if there is a safe way to lower it a bit, but the pH lowering products which are sold can be worse than nothing. You don't want the water to swing up and down radically, that stresses the fish out much more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts